1 a systematic interpretation or explanation (usually written) of a specific topic [syn: expounding]
3 an account that sets forth the meaning or intent of a writing or discourse; "we would have understood the play better if there had been some initial exposition of the background"
EtymologyAdopted from the lang=fr, itself an adaptation of the exponere.
- The action of putting something out to public view; for example in a display or show.
- The act of declaring or describing something through either speech or writing.
- The act of expulsion, or being expelled, from a place.
- In the context of "writing": An essay or speech in which any topic is discussed in detail.
- In the context of "writing": A technique used in fiction, including novel, play, and movie, by which background information about the characters, events, or setting is conveyed.
action of putting something out to public view
- Czech: výstava
essay or speech in which any topic is discussed in detail
- Czech: výklad
- Esperanto: ekspozicio
- German: Ausstellung
- Portuguese: exposição
- Romanian: expoziţie
- Russian: выставка
- Slovak: expozícia
- Spanish: exposición
Exposition may refer to:
- Exposition (literary technique), a tece of dramatic structure in which undepicted plots elements are conveyed in dialogue, description, flashback or narrative
- Expository writing, a genre in which the purpose is to inform, explain, describe or define
- Exposition (music), a section of a musical composition (such as a fugue) in which musical material is introduced; also the formal name given to a section of a movement identified as an example of sonata form
- Fair or Expo (exhibition) (see list of world expositions)
- Route of administration, in toxicology
- Eucharistic adoration, in which the Blessed Sacrament is exposed and adored
- "Exposition", a song by Deep Purple from their 1969 album The Book of Taliesyn
exposition in Czech: Expozice
exposition in German: Exposition
exposition in French: Exposition
exposition in Italian: Esposizione
exposition in Slovak: Expozícia
allegorization, anacrusis, apocalypse, article, assignment, auto show, baring, bass passage, bazaar, boat show, bourdon, bridge, burden, cadence, causerie, chalk talk, chorus, clarification, coda, commentary, commercial complex, construction, cosmorama, cracking, critique, cyclorama, decipherment, declaration, decoding, delineation, demonstration, demythologization, descant, description, development, diorama, disclosing, disclosure, discourse, discovering, discovery, discussion, display, disquisition, dissertation, division, editing, elucidation, emendation, emporium, enactment, enlightenment, enunciation, essay, etude, euhemerism, examination, excursus, exegesis, exemplification, exercise, exhibit, exhibition, explanation, explication, expo, expose, exposure, expounding, fair, feature, figure, first approach, flea fair, flea market, folderol, georama, harangue, harmonic close, homework, homily, illumination, illustration, instruction, interlude, intermezzo, interpretation, introductory phrase, introductory study, laying bare, lecture, lecture-demonstration, lesson, light, light show, lucubration, manifestation, market, market overt, marketplace, mart, measure, memoir, monograph, moral, moral lesson, morality, moralization, morceau, movement, musical phrase, musical sentence, myriorama, note, object lesson, open market, opening, ornament, ostentation, outline, pageant, pageantry, pandect, panorama, paper, parade, paragraph, part, passage, patefaction, performance, period, phantasmagoria, phrase, piece, plaza, pomp, preachment, preliminary study, presentation, presentment, production, projection, prolegomenon, psychedelic show, rationale, reason, recital, recitation, refrain, removing the veil, representation, research paper, resolution, response, retrospective, revealing, revealment, revelation, rialto, ritornello, screed, section, sermon, set task, shifting scene, shopping center, shopping mall, shopping plaza, show, showing, showing up, showup, sight, simplification, sketch, skull session, solution, special article, spectacle, stage show, stanza, staple, statement, strain, street market, stripping, study, survey, tableau, tableau vivant, tailpiece, talk, task, teaching, term paper, theme, thesis, tract, tractate, trade fair, treatise, treatment, tutti, tutti passage, uncloaking, uncovering, unfolding, unfoldment, unlocking, unmasking, unveiling, unwrapping, variation, varnishing day, vernissage, verse